Monday, June 21, 2010

Field Response Journal Question #12

12. Does the teacher use observational learning? If so, cite specific examples and make reference to the class text. How do students respond to this instructional method?

I try to model every writing assignment I give, even if it is an answer to an essay question (answering a different question than what I give to the students). This modeling has several positive effects. The students know what I want from them, but it also demonstrates that I enjoy writing and can express myself through this medium. I’ve shared the fact that I’m working on several different novels, and the kids love to ask how they are going and encourage me to make progress. I think they like to see that I’m trying something big and that it’s hard for me to keep moving forward, just like they struggle with big projects. I really try to keep adding to my projects just so I can model the positive behavior of sticking with my writing, instead of modeling the bad behavior of giving up.

I also want the kids to see me as a live model as I read and talk about how a love for reading has enriched my life. Our school has DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) days and some teachers do other things during these time periods. I make myself read, even if I have a million things going on because I want my students to see me reading for fun.

When I chose books to read and poets to study, I try to include qualities of both the real individuals and fictional characters that demonstrate symbolic modeling of behavior. This next year I’m assigning Freak the Mighty, and I’m excited to see how the kids will react to the two main characters. I hope I can help the kids can find inspiration and positive role models for their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment