Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Field Response Journal #10

*10. Does the teacher use mnemonic devices such as visualization techniques (i.e. peg or loci systems), acronyms, acrostics, stories, songs or rhymes to help students retain and access information? Cite specific examples. If not, what could the teacher use and with what subject matter? Again, be specific in your response.

I don’t use a ton of mnemonics because I don’t use a lot of terms or isolated facts. I do use the mnemonic o-abs and fanboys when teaching the conjunctions. I name my five comma rules with memorable names like “extra bits” and “back to front.” When describing a compound sentence I almost always draw a big nail through the conjunction to show the students are “pounding” their compound sentence together with a conjunction. I like using pictures to represent organizational concepts like a hamburger to symbolize the five sentence paragraph. I also use the umbrella to show how a thesis covers and protects the supporting ideas. I like diagrams, such as the tent pole diagram and the character development diagram to describe important abstract ideas in a more concrete way. I could use music and rhyme more often in my lessons. I have used Schoolhouse Rock a few times, but don’t think it teaches a really lasting lesson. (But it’s fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment