Thursday, May 13, 2010

Multiple Intelligences Test

I never feel like these tests are very accurate for me. I am an extremely visual person, but I also am very slightly dyslexic, so it makes directions and puzzles really difficult for me. Because of these two elements my visual/spacial learner score tends to come in fairly low, when I know this is a way I learn and perform best. I guess it is interesting to see this in chart form, but I just don’t think forty questions are enough to get a good glimpse at our individual strengths and weaknesses.

I do like Garner’s intelligences because it gives equal respect to all types of “smarts.” I like that the linguistic and mathematical intelligences aren’t seen as the only way to be gifted. My concern is that it could turn into a myth like being right-brained or left-brained. I think individuals can move through these different intelligences all in the same task and it can be so subtle that you are not aware of how many different intelligences you are using. There is a certain danger using labels, but I am grateful how this theory has brought changes to the conversation about what it means to be smart.

I think using the cluster note taking technique is a better way for me to explore a text since it certainly felt more natural than the more systematic and linear approaches I have used in the past. I do love words, and my chart has a high linguistic score. I think exploring the meaning of words beyond just basic vocabulary level is a good way for me to understand a topic. Teaching a subject comes naturally and is also another good way to study (and is part of the four R’s).

I might use this test for my students, but I would try to find one that has more questions and goes a little more in-depth with the subtleties of each type of intelligence. It would be a good tool to link into studying techniques. It can give insights about how to differentiate lesson plans so the students who struggle can receive specialized instruction. I think it is important that the students know that these percentages of intelligent strengths will change in their lifetimes. When they are fourteen their highest intelligence may be kinesthetic, but when they are twenty linguistic intelligence may be the strongest. Because our brains are always changing and developing, we can’t see any type of label as static.

No comments:

Post a Comment